This cake is like a party in your mouth. The cake itself is very fluffy because of the coconut cream. It's all about coconut, with coconut icing and real coconut flakes covering the entire cake. I wasn't a fan of coconut when I was growing up, but I've learned to love it.
- Makes 1 (10-inch, 3-layer) cake
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter two 13×18-inch half-sheet pans, then line it with wax paper or parchment and butter the paper.
- Mix the cake batter according to the recipe directions. Pour into the prepared pan and bake until the middle of the cake feels springy when you gently press your finger against it, about 40 minutes.
- Set the pan on a rack to cool completely. Using a 10-inch round cutter, cut 3 round layers from the sheet cake.
- Meanwhile, make the coconut icing according to the recipe instructions.
- Place one cake layer on a turntable and frost the top with about a quarter of the icing; repeat with the second layer. Place the top layer and frost the entire cake with the remainder of the coconut icing.
- Cover the top of the cake with the coconut shreds and flakes, and press them lightly into the sides.