Photo by Chelsea Kyle, Prop Styling by Beatrice Chastka, Food Styling by Olivia Mack Anderson
Make a hearty, vegetarian, tagine-inspired dinner in just 20 minutes with only pantry ingredients.
- 4 servings
- Active Time
- 20 minutes
- Total Time
- 20 minutes
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 1/4 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 (14-oz.) can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 1 (12-oz.) jar roasted red peppers, cut into 1″–2″ pieces
- 1/2 cup dried currants (about 2.5 oz.)
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup couscous
- 1/4 cup roasted, salted pistachios (about 1.5 oz.), coarsely chopped
- Heat oil in a medium heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium-high. Add cumin, garlic powder, cinnamon, turmeric, and cayenne and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in 1 tsp. salt and 2 cups water and bring to a boil.
- Add chickpeas, peppers, currants, and vinegar and simmer, stirring occasionally, until warmed through and liquid is slightly reduced, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook couscous according to package directions; season with remaining 1/4 tsp. salt.
- Divide couscous among plates. Spoon tagine over and top with pistachios.